Tuesday, July 31, 2007

ATW – It’s getting a bit humid

I was somewhat accustomed to seeing sand, sand-colored buildings, and
dust–covered plants in Egypt, so flying into Bangkok totally shocked the
system. Green, blue, red, yellow – everywhere. But there was a dark
side. To get all those plants and flowers takes massive amounts of heat
and humidity. It took me a half-day to adjust and revert back to Houston
mode, and a few showers and changes of clothes definitely helped me make
it through. I was staying along the river, and so it was easy to pass my
time riding up and down the river and hopping off at various stops and
wandering the streets. The time spent being harassed to buy something,
ride in a tok-tok, or receiving some 'friendly' advice on finding grate
deals was greatly diminished as long as I stayed on the river.

One side-note about the hotel: the fact that every vehicle had to have
it's undercarriage inspected by a neat little mirror on wheels and armed
guards means that I was staying a one super-cool place.

No comments: