Saturday, August 4, 2007

ATW – Bangkok Adventure (part 2)

Part two of the full day began after some relax time at the hotel pool. I had four goals for the evening: ride the Skytrain, find a new party shirt, find some good Thai food, and find some good beer. Based upon my travel books I could accomplish all four within the same block. How perfect! The only drawback (for me, that is) was that this block was in the middle of Bangkok's red light district, called Patpong. I rode the Skytrain to get to Patpong (goal #1 complete), and wandered through many merchant stalls looking for a good shirt. Tons of illegal DVDs, fake Nike shirts, and just tons of crap were everywhere, but no decent party shirts. So goal #2 was never completed. After wandering up and down streets and being harassed by way too many people and called way too many things, I finally found the street that was supposed to have the good beer and thai food. The Thai food restaurant could not be found, but I found the British Pub, and hoped to be drinking some decent beer soon. Turns out they had Heineken and Tiger on tap and VB in bottles. I settled for a few pints of Tiger and then ate some of their food, which was actually quite good. The pub clientele consisted of just me and four semi-old white dudes, so after an hour of that, I decided to call it a night after only partially completing my goals. I breezed back through the red-light area which was in full party mode by this time and hopped back on the Skytrain and was back to my hotel in no time. A couple more Singhas in the hotel lounge and that was the end of my day. Next stop, southern China.

No comments: